Reminder: Aug 15th CLE, A Courthouse Connections CLE: The United States Supreme Court – The Term in Review (2011-2012)
The Marion County Bar Association and the Mary Leonard Law Society proudly present:
A Courthouse Connections CLE: The United States Supreme Court – The Term in Review (2011-2012)
Wednesday, August 15, 2012, from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
Marion County Courthouse, 5th floor Jury Assembly Room
Featured panelists the Honorable Rives Kistler, Oregon Supreme Court; the Honorable Rebecca A. Duncan, Oregon Court of Appeals; and the Honorable Claudia M. Burton, Marion County Circuit Court, will discuss several of the many notable cases decided by the United States Supreme Court during the 2011-2012 term. 1.0 hour of general CLE credit pending. This is a free event!
The following cases may be discussed during the CLE:
- Arizona and immigration: Arizona v. United States (No. 11-182)
- Federal habeas: Martinez v. Ryan (No. 10-1001)
- Health care: National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius (No. 11-393)
- Life terms for juveniles: Miller v. Alabama (No. 10-9646)
- Confrontation clause: Williams v. Illinois (No. 10-8505)
- Ministerial exception: Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church and School v. EEOC (No. 10-553)
- Rights of accused during plea negotiations: Missouri v. Frye (No. 10-444) and Lafler v. Cooper (No. 10-209)
- Prosecutorial misconduct: Smith v. Cain (No. 10-8145)
- Role of juries: Southern Union Co. v. United States (No. 11-94)
To reduce event costs and conserve resources, printed materials will not be provided to CLE attendees.
All cases are available for free on the U.S. Supreme Court’s website: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinions.aspx